Game of Thrones As Told By An AI

Here's another work of fiction as told by AI Dungeon. As before, the prompt is bolded, and footnotes are provided.

You are Eddard "Ned" Stark, lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North. You are married to Catelyn Stark, and have five children- Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon- as well as a bastard son named Jon Snow. Your house's words are "Winter is Coming."

You receive word that a deserter has been caught, and you ride out with Jon, Robb and Bran on horseback to administer the king's justice to the man. You arrive to where the man is, and wait to hear his last words before executing him. The deserter looks at you and his wife, and says "I wish you both good riddance." This angers you, and you draw your sword, yelling for the man to speak up. He does, before you cut his head off. Catelyn cries, and you comfort her. A few months pass, and a letter arrives from Robb, stationed at Riverrun.(1) He says that he has finally managed to take the place, and he needs more men. You write him back and say that you will send men, and will meet him at the Twins in three days' time.
Two days later, a messenger arrives from the Twins, a rocky hill overlooking the River Tyne(2). He tells you that your army is encamped on the hill, and they will cross tomorrow. You tell your family to pack, and you lead your men to the crossing. You and your men ride across the bridge, and you find your brother Robb awaiting you on the other side. You dismount, and embrace. "Did you take the place?" you ask. "Aye, I did," Robb replies. "It's a bold move, sowing discord between the houses. Father(2) will be furious."
"I had to do something to help my men," you say. "When are you crossing?"
"In a few days' time," Robb says. "I need to speak with you privately, though. Would you follow me?"
"Aye," you say.
You follow Robb to an outcropping of rock, overlooking the River Tyne. "I'm still crossing at Riverrun," Robb says, "but I'll be heading north after a few weeks. I need you to help defend our new holdings against any attacks, especially Marbrand's."
"Marbrand?" you ask. "He's not in the North anymore. Why would he be attacking you?"
"Because he's still pissed about what we did to his men," Robb says. "He's raising his banners in the North, and anyone who supports us is considered an ally of his. Anyone who supports him is treated as an enemy of the North."
"Does he have any allies?"
"Aye, it looks like the Karsting princes(4) are with him."

"The Karsting princes?" You echo, confused. "Why would the Karsting princes be working with Marbrand? They served us faithfully for years."
"Because their brother died fighting for us at the Battle of Crastarrow," Robb says. "They're not happy about the way you humiliated their brother, and they want to even the score."
"I don't follow," you say. "Where are you planning to be?"
"I'm heading to the Twins, to meet up with my father," Robb says. "I need you to defend against Marbrand, if he attacks while I'm gone."
"I suppose I can do that," you say. "Are you taking your wife and children with you?"
"Catelyn is staying here," Robb says. "Bran and Arya will come with me, and Sansa will decide on her own. I've been planning on taking her to the Twins with me, to meet my father."
"I see."
"I'll write a letter to Father, and you can deliver it to him in person, after you've met up with me at the Twins."
"I will," you say.
"I should warn you, though," Robb says. "Father isn't happy with you. He thinks you're too lenient with your enemies."
"I am."
"He says that if you attack him, he'll never forgive you, and that you'll have lost any claim you had to the North."
You sigh. "I know."
"That being the case," Robb says, "I'd appreciate it if you'd attack him for me. Will you do that for me, brother?"
You nod, and hand Robb the letter to send to his father. He draws a ring from his finger, and you write down the message for him. He promises to write often, and then he rides away.
You sit alone on the rock, overlooking the river, and watch the rain fall. For the first time, you realize that you may not see Robb again.
The next day, you and your army march to the Twins. You take the southern approach, through the forest, so you can attack from the side from which the Lannisters would most likely attack. When you arrive at the hilltop, you find a dozen men waiting for you there, and your own standard bearer is among them.
"Where is Lord Tywin?" you ask.
"He won't be coming," the man says, "but I hope you'll still listen to him."
You nod, and he steps forward. "My name is Gerard," he says, "and I'm not truly the herald here, only a go-between. Lord Tywin sent me to ask you to speak with him before you make any decisions regarding the North."
You stare at him. "What did he want to talk about?"
"He wanted to know if you planned on attacking him."
You turn to your men. "Who wants to go first?"
Your men draw swords, and you lead them in attacking the hill.
When you reach the top, you find a dozen tents, made of crimson cloth. You approach a tent, and enter it, to find Lord Tywin reading a map. "Greetings, General," he says. "Did your mission go well?"(5)
"Mission?" you say. "What are you talking about?"
"I sent Gerard to find you so we could discuss terms of surrender. I'm sure you understand that we cannot continue to fight a war we can't hope to win."

"I suppose," you say. "Is that all?"
"For now."
You leave the tent, and find yourself in the middle of a clearing. Around you are tents, and horses, and servants, and soldiers. All of them are preparing for the battle that's about to begin. You turn, and walk away from the campsite, staring into the woods.
You find yourself thinking about your wife, about Catelyn and the children, about Jon and Bran. You can't imagine not seeing them again. Will you ever see your family again?

You shake your head, and focus on the woods. You want to find your family. You want to see them again.
The raven has flown.
You want to be home.
You want to be with your wife and children.
You want it more than anything else in the world.
You want to be home.
Then.
You rush through the trees, heading towards the clearing.
You enter the clearing, and the thunder of hundreds of galloping horses is silenced by a ringing silence. All eyes turn towards you.
You hold up your hand. "This battle is not yet lost. I will stand with you, the men of the North, under the banners of House Stark. I will fight for our homeland, for House Stark, for the North!"
Your men cheer. You turn to the hill, to find that Lord Tywin has already mounted his horse, and is riding towards you. He raises his fist, and you raise yours. Together, you ride out to engage the enemy.
THE END You have reached the "Breaking Point".(6) Will you be able to survive? Will you be able to break free from the confines of the Iron Throne?


Footnotes
  1. It's somewhat amazing that the AI comes up with Game of Thrones names without my input. Perhaps seeing the various names trained it to find others.

  2. A quick search reveals that the River Tyne is a small river in northeast England, not in Westeros or anywhere else in the world of A Song of Ice and Fire.

  3. As expected, the AI quickly forgets that Robb is supposed to be Ned's son.

  4. The Karstling Princes and the Battle of Crastarrow all seem to be made up.

  5. It's hard to imagine Ned and Tywin being on good terms, apart from Tywin's last-minute decision to betray Aerys.

  6. Often, the AI follows a "THE END" by declaring which ending you got and asking questions about what will happen next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fire Emblem Engage: Fell Xenologue Review Part 3

Shinrai's Kotoba: When the Worst Character is Still Necessary to the Narrative

Game of Thrones Season 8 Review Part 8: Conclusion